This term we will be exploring science and poetry.
In the first three meetings, we will look at Robert Crawford (ed.), Contemporary Poetry and Contemporary Science (OUP, 2006). A copy of the book is available on reserve in the Whipple Library. We will explore the whole book, but in particular the following:
- Miroslav Holub, "Rampage, or Science in Poetry" (pp. 11-24).
- Robert Crawford, "Biology", with introduction by Rona R. Ramsay (pp. 69-71).
- Jocelyn Bell Burnell, "Astronomy and Poetry" (pp. 125-140).
- John Burnside, "Steinar Undir Steinahlithium", with introduction by R. M. M. Crawford (pp. 107-109).
- Kay Redfield Jamison, "Contemporary Psychology and Contemporary Poetry: Perspectives on Mood Disorders" (pp. 191-203).
- Paul Muldoon, "Once I looked into your eyes", with introduction by Warren S. Warren (pp. 167-169).
Please feel free to bring along other poems that you would like to discuss...
- The final meeting will be a creative writing workshop.
- Please bring along your own poems and writings! We hope to have a creative writing tutor present, to facilitate the discussion.
We meet on Mondays from 7.30 to 9pm in the upstairs seminar room of Darwin College. All are welcome!